It can be difficult when a loved one is unhappy with their nursing home experience, especially when it comes to the food. Unfortunately, many nursing homes don't have the budget or staff resources to provide meals that are tailored to each individual's tastes and preferences.
Fortunately, there are some steps you can take if your loved one is dissatisfied with their dining experience. Here are a few tips:
- Talk to the dietitian and chef at the facility to see if they can offer any menu changes or suggestions that would make your loved one more content with their meals.
- Ask whether outside catering is allowed, so that special items that your loved one prefers can be brought in from time-to-time.
- If there’s no way for your loved one's requests and preferences to be accommodated, consider taking them out for a special meal occasionally (based on local health guidelines). This will give them something else to look forward to!
- Encourage family members and friends who visit your loved one regularly to bring along snacks and treats from time-to-time – this could help liven up mealtimes!
- Make sure that all dietary restrictions and allergies are noted in the facility records so that appropriate meals will be served each day.
Ultimately, it’s important to remember that although we all have different tastes when it comes to food, nutrition is of utmost importance in elderly care facilities – so find a balance between deliciousness and healthfulness so that you know your loved one is getting the best possible care!
I am passionate about helping the elderly in my community to have access to healthy and nutritious meals. Plant-based diets have been proven to provide numerous health benefits, such as reducing the risk of heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. I believe that providing a plant-based menu for nursing home residents will allow them to age gracefully and maintain good physical and mental health. As someone who is deeply connected with my community, One of my goals is to be part of a team that curates and oversees such an important initiative.